# Charting: Getting started
Welcome to the Charting section of this wiki, we will help you know the charting basics, software (tools) you may need to make a chart.
# A few definitions
- What is a chart?
- In Cytoid, a chart is known as a difficulty of a level. But in charting standard, a chart is a file which contains data about timing, placement of notes in a difficulty.
- What is charting?
- Simply, it means making a chart.
- Who is a charter?
- You may see it in level information, maybe you can guess this, a charter is a chart maker (or a level maker).
# How can I make a chart?
There are two ways to make a chart: using a chart editor and using a text editor. Chart editors are often used because they might save your time and get better results. However, you can do more features when using a text editor, like Luna Flina's "Galaxy Collapse" (opens new window) (actually it isn't fully made with a text editor, just hide scanline parts).
- What do I need to make a chart with a chart editor?
- What do I need to make a chart with a text editor?
And... the most important thing, you have to know and understand chat formats supported by Cytoid.
That's it! Next, you will learn how to edit an audio file, click "Next"!
⚠Hmm... Something went wrong? Please wait... We have not done yet :(